Everything You Need To Know About Rocket Fuel

How common has the phrase: ‘it isn’t rocket science’ become and yet when you come to think of it, some of us don’t know much about even fundamentals in the subject. We thought we could take up the topic of rocket fuel and explain as to how it works and what it is made of; read on to learn more.

space-shuttle

What is rocket fuel composed of?

There are two categories of rocket fuel: solids and liquids. While solid rocket fuel mostly uses oxygen in its liquid form along with liquid hydrogen, solid rocket fuels typically make use of powdered aluminium and some sort of an oxidiser. Liquid fuels require cryogenic temperatures for cooling and are often used in rockets that are space bound and solid fuel ones are cheaper and quite easier comparatively when it comes to handling and thus are often used for military purposes. The solid rocket fuel combination is often used for the initial thrust (to give the rocket that extra lift and kick required to head into space).

How does rocket fuel work?

Solid rocket fuels operate on the following principle: a reaction between the components of the fuel that burns very quickly and yet without an explosion. The power in the case of rocket fuels is released evenly and over a period of time and the composition required to achieve this is 72% of nitrates, 24% carbon and 4% sulphur whereas in gun powder where there is an explosion, the ratio is 75:15:10 and explosion is the result there.

The energy required to propel the rocket comes from the oxidation of these chemicals and thus the fundamental is oxidation reaction.

What are the different kinds of fuels used in spacecrafts?

There are a variety of rocket fuels used today from solid fuels, liquid fuels, bio propellants, mono propellants, compressed nitrogen and so on. Quite often, students raise the question of how rocket fuel burns in space without oxygen and how it works in space during classes. In fact, this is perhaps one of the most asked questions to online physics tutors as well.

The answer to that is quite simple. Not every reaction requires oxygen and in some cases liquid oxygen is used as fuel too (Liquid fuels)! Also, as seen above, most rocket fuels carry their own oxidisers and there are some fuels that combust when they react with one another and they contain the oxidisers required. Atmospheric oxygen isn’t relied upon in any case for the rocket fuel to burn.

Watch this space for more such interesting information and get in touch with us for online homework help or online tutoring services.

12 thoughts on “Everything You Need To Know About Rocket Fuel

1. I definitely wanted to compose a quick message to be able to appreciate you for those amazing advice you are giving out on this website. My time intensive internet investigation has finally been honored with good quality facts and strategies to go over with my great friends. I would state that that most of us site visitors actually are quite fortunate to be in a notable website with so many outstanding people with insightful strategies. I feel really privileged to have discovered your entire web page and look forward to plenty of more amazing times reading here. Thanks again for everything. Sports leggings

2. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks f8bet game

3. Oh my goodness! an excellent post dude. Many thanks Nevertheless I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Do not know why Cannot join it. Can there be anyone finding identical rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx BK8

4. This is very interesting, You are a very professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of more of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks! tylebongda.ink

5. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in truth used to be a amusement account it. Glance complex to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we be in contact? f8 bet